Wednesday, May 25, 2011

In All Her Glory

As per my usual routine when getting home from work each day, today I took Phoebe out into the backyard for a stroll. She scampered playfully in the grass, darting this way and that, while I had my eye on something else, something I'd been impatiently awaiting for several days. After last night's wind and hail storm I wasn't sure in what shape I'd find the fragile buds of the Arizona Grandiflora. I was delighted, and more than a bit surprised, to find the once tender buds now blossoming into tangerine, melon, yellow, and pink. There she stood, in all her glory glistening in the tapering sunlight.


The hail damage is slight and only noticeable along the delicate edges of the first layer of petals. I suppose the house and eave above shielded her from the brunt of the storm.

This one, a tiny bud just beginning to open.


Rich yellow tones are tucked away between petals, hidden near the flower's center.

4 comments:

  1. What a pretty rose! I'm surprised the hail didn't do more damage. Plants are amazing things. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks beautiful and glad there wasn't damage. We were hit bad last night with storms and found my Black Lace Sambucus with a broken branch and most drooping. I guess I'm lucky there wasn't more damage though.
    Cher
    Goldenray Yorkies

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the glow of these flowers. Just beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. All I can do is gasp in awe while staring at her glory. :D Beautiful indeed!

    ReplyDelete