Sunday, May 22, 2011

A Saucer of Beer

The two year old hosta put on quite a show this spring. She's a beauty, if I do say so myself.


But there is definitely a snail or slug problem. The damage, for the most part, is concentrated to one general area on upper and outward facing leaves.

I have small dogs and refuse to use pesticides in this area of the yard so I'm trying a few alternatives before I resort to actually going on a snail hunt. Last night I placed a saucer of beer under the affected area.


They took the bait, er beer, but not really. There was nary a snail or slug found in the saucer but there were 5 other bugs.


I'm open for pup-friendly suggestions on how to get rid of these pests.

5 comments:

  1. I've always heard they would go to the beer. Perhaps try again? Your hostas are very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always heard that you could pour beer on them but not that they would come to it.

    For a temporary fix why not make a tiny trail of salt around them. It too melts them like a bucket of water on the wicked witch.

    Maybe you could make a trail of glue on a strip of fabric and pour salt on like you would sand for sand art. Rain an pooches may ruin it but until then maybe the snails will see it as a line they don't want to cross.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the salt/glue/fabric idea. I didn't want to pour salt directly on the ground around the hosta as that might damage the roots, but I don't see any harm in trying it this way. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We are slug central in our area (an Hosta capital of the world)and I have tried every trick to get rid of them. The beer just got them drunk and they did not drown as expected. Nothing reliably worked except to go out at dusk and remove them manually. It decreases the population to manageable.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The other thing I know about is the ammonia spray but you have to hunt for them in the evening to spray it right on them. Keep trying what you did, andat some point you'll get them. Other than that all I know is sluggo or hand catching them.
    Like your Yorkie photo.
    Cher

    ReplyDelete