Thursday, July 21, 2011

Fallen Fledgling Robin

A baby robin has fallen from its nest onto the front lawn. Poor thing I believe is a fledgling, but I'm not certain. The feathers on its wings appear to be rather full but the mother is still coming down to feed it. I don't believe it is hurt, or if hurt, not badly. There are no cats in the neighborhood, thankfully but you never know what else is lurking about. I spotted several dark birds in the top of the tree where the nest is. They could have been trying to make a meal of the babies. If the mother hasn't coaxed it into the shrubs, or if it's unable to move to a safer area in a couple of hours I'll put it under the holly bushes next to the house.

I took this first picture through the screen so it is not very clear. The baby is next to the mother robin (circled in red).


After the mother flew back up into the tree, I went out to make sure the baby was not badly hurt. It seems okay and not in distress.


Mother is fearfully watching from within the branches overhead. The leaves are too thick to even see the nest which is most likely high up in the tree.

No comments:

Post a Comment