Sunday, July 10, 2011

Montezuma

I purchased the watermelon colored Montezuma rose a little late in the season this year and with only one tiny bud in sight. I've never had good luck growing roses but have decided to give it another try. My first rose purchase in years was made in April when I became mesmerized by the luscious Arizona Grandiflora. She has showed true beauty and grit throughout the record breaking heat we've been experiencing in North Texas.

With much fuss and even a lot more careful watering, the Montezuma is doing well also. The blooms are a bit stunted, by the heat I'm sure, but the color is rich and vibrant and I've managed to get a couple of interesting pictures.

I like this one with sunlight shining through the leaves so they almost appear translucent.




I've read this particular variety of tea rose is highly susceptible to disease. So far it is doing well with morning to mid-day sun and normal to moist, loamy clay soil.

1 comment:

  1. Looks like it's going to be a good one. Nice bright color and nice foliage. Let's hope this is the one for you.
    Cher Sunray Gardens

    ReplyDelete