Tuesday, July 12, 2011

New Sapling brings a New Visitor

In hopes of enjoying some shade and some bold, vivid colors in autumn, I recently planted two new saplings in the backyard. One is a Silver Maple which in this area, I believe turns yellow in fall. The other is an October Glory Maple which should turn bright red for autumn.

This morning I discovered a visitor has latched onto the trunk of the October Glory. This jar fly, or as some may know it, a cicada has been in this same position for hours.


I wonder if it's molting. The colors are bright and vibrant which gives me doubts that it is about to shed an old skin but I'm surprised that it isn't moving from this spot.

4 comments:

  1. The cicadas make me crazy. LOL He's probably ready to die.
    Cher Sunray Gardens

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow - he's big! I've been hearing one for days, but have not seen him. I would be worried about him being there for days! Will he die just stuck there?

    ReplyDelete
  3. The jar fly moved on, I suppose. The only time I heard him jar his body into song was when I watered the trees--and him.

    ReplyDelete